Sunday 14 October 2007

Hard Boiled Writing

Hard boiled writing refers to a particular category in mystery novels. It was made famous by writers such as Hammett and Chandler, present day writers who could be said to write in that genre are Paretsky and Michael Connolly. It is the sort of detective story that really appeals to me and in which I am going to attempt to write the new nanowrimo novel that I am unsuccessfully (at the moment) planning. The problem with being a writer is that writing tends to get in the way of writing if you know what I mean.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Someday I'm gonna suck it up and do this, Suejeff. In the meantime, you are my hero for even considering it! I'm rooting for you!

Jack Payne said...

James M. Cain (The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity) was king of the "hard-boiled" writers as far as I'm concerned. Generally regarded as the father of noir fiction (early 1930s), his clipped dialogue sizzles to this day.

Sue Jeffels Writing said...

Thanks Kathy; just hope I get through it - and Jack I agree that Cain wrote great stuff, I just think that Chandler did it with a bit more style.

sue

feedburner

google link ads

amazon

FeedBurner FeedCount

Ads

My Headlines

Writing Buddies - link love Headline Animator

fuel my blog

nanowrimo

Amazon book links

Google referrals

add

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

blog rush

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites

Favourite authors

  • Ian Rankin
  • Sue Grafton
  • Raymond Chandler